WHAT IS 3D PRINT?
3D printing is changing the landscape of design and manufacturing
3D printing is used to:
- prove concepts, test prototypes and help sell ideas/concepts to investors
- increase product customisation and personalisation
- increase speed-to-market
- decrease/eliminate transportation and it’s associated negative impact
- challenge mass volume global distribution solutions where they aren’t always the best answer
Objects are made through an Additive Manufacturing process either by fusing layers in a bath of loose/liquid material or extruding a material through a nozzle.
Unlike traditional manufacturing methods, no expensive tooling is required and very little material is wasted.
TYPES OF 3D PRINTING
- Vat photopolymerisation – uses light to selectively cure layers of material in a vat of photopolymer
- Material jetting – deposits small droplets of photopolymer (similar to an inkjet printer) which are then cured by exposure to light
- Binder jetting – squirts a binding agent into a powdered material
- Material extrusion – extrudes thin filaments of thermoplastic to build layers. It is often likened to a tube of toothpaste or a syringe
- Powder bed fusion – selectively melts fine layers of powdered plastic or metal into solid objects using a laser
- Sheet lamination - trims sheets of material and binding them together in layers
- Directed energy deposition – uses focused thermal energy to fuse materials as they are deposited on a substrate
THE BENEFITS OF 3D PRINTING
- It provides a highly personalised, transformative experience that previously did not exist
- Two historically prohibitive manufacturing costs are shrunk to zero
– cost of customisation
– cost of complex shapes
- No mold costs, no heavy machinery, little to no infrastructure requirements
- The ability to produce 3D proofing and 3D printing on-your-site or very close by
- Support process for big breakthrough innovations, which are usually a result of lots of smaller composed ideas
- If the design doesn’t work, simply ‘tweak it’ a little and try again!
- Experiment with almost no upfront financial investment
- From the first success, you can then scale-up through a decentralised, local network of micro-factories
We are a 3D design and 3D print agency who make the 3D print journey as easy as A to B
Discover the power of 3D Printing and our thoughts on how it is being used in today’s world
We would love to help you with your 3D requirements, please let us know how we can